Special Education Surrogate Parent
- Act on behalf of the student you are appointed to with all of the rights and authority of a parent in matters of special education without the financial responsibility.
- Meet with and observe the student at school.
- Review all school records and receive progress reports.
- Sign evaluation consent forms.
- Attend education related meetings for the student and be involved in the planning and discussions regarding their special educational needs.
- Approve an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for the student.
- Monitor student's services, progress and educational placement.
- Respect the confidentiality of all records and information related to the student.
- Update the plan on any changes regarding the student.
Time Commitment and Duration
Stability and continuity are critical for the students we serve. Volunteers are requested to make a one-year commitment. Our volunteers tell us that on average they spend 10-20 hours per year volunteering for each student, depending upon the needs and circumstances of the student.